Fur Haven Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Haven is back. Or, well, it never really left... so... the Haven is still here!

Welcome new members, and returning members. Site is slightly under construction, and shall have a fancy new layout sometime this month. Our lovely banner has been provided by Silvuh! Please be sure to introduce yourself in the Welcome forums, and don't be shy to post to your heart's content!

+2
Eisenhorn
Auto-Fox
6 posters

"Retro" is such an overused term...

Auto-Fox
    Auto-Fox

Number of posts : 273
    Registration date : 2008-04-13

Fursona/character
    Species: Fennec (African-Middle Eastern desert fox)
    Current mood: Unknown
    Relationship status: Single, not looking for anyone

"Retro" is such an overused term... Empty "Retro" is such an overused term...

Post by Auto-Fox Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:18 am

So, Fur Haven, I'm a curious little fennec. I'm wondering, what are your three favorite retro game consoles? And why? Specifically, anything made before 2001.
    Also, what's your favorite game for each?
    My own list is as follows.

1-
    Sega Saturn - NiGHTS into Dreams...
    The Saturn has to be my favorite game console of all time for one simple reason.
    I'm a sucker for the underdog.
    Seriously, though. The Saturn is a pretty sweet console. It was the first stand-alone multi-processor game console, the first to have online play capability (with the severely underrated, and STILL FUNCTIONAL, NetLink modem cartridge), and the first with a decent analog controller (the Saturn's optional 3D Control Pad beat the PlayStation's dual analog controller by a few months).
    It also had a solid library of arcade titles, as well as several good RPGs and such.
    Most original of the bunch, however, has to be NiGHTS into Dreams...
    NiGHTS is, bar none, my favorite 3D game of all time. Of ALL time. Incredible to look at, incredible to control, and fun as hell, there hasn't been a more original game in terms of visual style and gameplay since, if you ask me.
    And it was only available on Saturn.

2- Sega Genesis - Ranger X.
    Ah yes. I don't think anyone can have nothing good to say about this little thing. The Genesis went toe-to-toe with the SNES, and almost won. It's a fun system, cheap to buy used, easy and cheap to collect for. Some of my favorite games of all time were created for this console.
    It was also the first real console I ever owned, so it has a very special place in my heart.
    My favorite game for it, so far, has to be Ranger X. A prototypical mecha game, it's done in the style of a 2D platform run-n'-gun. It's graphics are incredible, easily the best I've seen on ANY 16-bit console. The gameplay and controls are sublime, and each mission comes with its own unique challenge.

4- Sega Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi.
    You can't not love this console. You just can't. It is all things to all gamers.
    First of all, even when it first came out, it was cheap. Cheaper than the PS2, certainly.
    Second, it was a real nice hunk of hardware. It had the first built-in modem capability, being shipped with a modular 56k modem attachment. It also had powerful graphical processing power, with games that, I think looked as good as anything on the PS2, if not better.
    Third, it had a huge library of GREAT games. Everything from platform to racing was represented, and the vast majority of it was VERY good.
    In this third category, however, I have to say my favorite title for the system that I've played so far would have to be Crazy Taxi. A great port of the arcade hit, which I've also played, it's a hell of an addicting driving and, to a more limited extent, strategy game. I always find it a relaxing game to play.
    Also, it doesn't hurt that it's an almost perfect port from the arcade version. This is mainly due to the fact that Sega's standard arcade hardware at the time was only a Dreamcast with more video RAM.
    Eisenhorn
    Eisenhorn

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2010-05-27

Fursona/character
    Species: Arctic Fox
    Current mood: Tired
    Relationship status: In a relationship

"Retro" is such an overused term... Empty Re: "Retro" is such an overused term...

Post by Eisenhorn Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Someone is a sega fan-boy x3
    Old Nintendo systems were the shit. 64 was the best system before the contemporary systems took over.
    Eferco
    Eferco

Number of posts : 635
    Registration date : 2008-04-21

Fursona/character
    Species: Wotter (Wolf/Otter hybred)
    Current mood: Silly.
    Relationship status: single, looking for a mate

"Retro" is such an overused term... Empty Re: "Retro" is such an overused term...

Post by Eferco Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:01 am

*mouth waters*
    Nayr
    Nayr

Number of posts : 122
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Fursona/character
    Species: Weasel
    Current mood: Tired
    Relationship status: single, looking for a mate

Post by Nayr Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:06 pm

...PSOne...
    Neko Sasuke
    Neko Sasuke

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Fursona/character
    Species: feline
    Current mood: content
    Relationship status: N/A

Post by Neko Sasuke Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 pm

Yeah I always had a playstation.
    Neko Sasuke
    Neko Sasuke

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Fursona/character
    Species: feline
    Current mood: content
    Relationship status: N/A

Post by Neko Sasuke Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:27 pm

Oh wait nvm I remember now! I had a sega genesis <3 hee hee. I bought the sega collection for the psp though. It didn't have pitfall...i really liked that game.
    Nyll

Number of posts : 1331
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Fursona/character
    Species: Phantomile Cabbit
    Current mood: Chilled out
    Relationship status: In a relationship

Post by Nyll Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:06 pm

My favourite would be;
    'Klonoa: Door to phantomille(PS1)' The reason being that it was the first game I really got into and managed to follow through to the end. Everything about the game was absolutely original, from the music, down to the character design. Above all else the story was moving, it held a good amount of emotion and comedy, something that not many games can pull off with the amount of success that Klonoa did. Although the games has managed to release a few sequels, none of them have managed to live quite up to the original.

Another that I enjoyed was 'Jet Set Radio Future (Dream cast)' Its a Japanese game, that took off in the Europe and the US. it was essentially the thing that made me love House and Techno music so much, And to be hones, the thing that made me into a graffiti artist for a good portion of my teenage life. The music in this game was amazing, I was 9 when I played the game, and I had never heard anything even close to the tracks that were being played. It was a mix of Japanese techno and house music, the whole game was based around the music and the effect it could have on people.

between playing and replaying Klonoa and Jet Set Radio Future I didn't really have time to play many other games. So I don't have a third. But I whole heartedly suggest playing the two games I have talked about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am